Erasmus in Spain

The Erasmus Program is a European Union initiative that provides students and staff mobility with study abroad opportunities across partner universities throughout Europe. Erasmus students are those that predominantly take advantage of the Erasmus exchange program. Erasmus Program has been in operation since the late 1980s, and nowadays, people consider it as a well-supported and organized scheme. It allows students to study at universities in the EU member states for set periods. 

Like many European countries, Spain encourages its students to study an all-inclusive program, like that of Erasmus, which allows them to experience a global education. International and Spanish students can take advantage of scholarships that the EU offers. For international students who will do Erasmus in Spain, it’s best to consult a safety guide to get prepared upon arrival. 

StudiesIn is the #1 digital student consultancy for studies in Spain and provides end-to-end services and counselling for students and parents.

StudiesIn offers guidance to students from the moment they decide to study abroad to local relocation support in Spain to finding a job after graduation, arranging all necessary legal permits along the journey.

Read more

Why Choose Spain for Erasmus

Spain is one of the best countries for the Erasmus Exchange program. In addition to top-notch universities, the countryhas an affordable cost of living, a wild party scene, delicious food, and not only. There are more than 50,000 students who choose Spain each year for the Erasmus program. It doesn’t matter which Spanish city you choose for your exchange program, you will make unforgettable memories.

In a more detailed list, here are the reasons Spain makes an excellent Erasmus experience:

  • Affordable Living. Spain is one of the most inexpensive countries in Europe. As an international student who is more into enjoying life abroad and less worrying about finances, lower rent prices and affordable living costs will be the highlight of your Erasmus in Spain.
  • Top Quality Education. Spain continuously takes place among the top ten countries worldwide with the best school system. The universities in Spain guarantee top-quality international teaching with a focus not only on the European labor market but worldwide. Your CV will be noticed more when you have a higher Spanish degree.
  • Cultural Diversity. You will meet plenty of international students from different cultures and backgrounds. Since it is one of the most multicultural countries in the European Union, you will gain knowledge on different areas. Other students’ diverse origins and experiences will only enrich your Erasmus experience.
  • Student Nightlife. Nightlife in Spain is buzzing, eccentric, and full of fun. Several student organizations, such as the ESN, organize student nights with free entrance and affordable prices. Nightlife will give you the perfect opportunity to meet other exchange or international students in Spain.

How to Apply for Erasmus in Spain

Overall, the procedure of applying for an Erasmus Mobility is simple. You need to fulfill specific criteria to get the desired Erasmus + grant. The first requirement to be able to apply for an Erasmus grant is to be a resident of one of the countries in the European Union. However, the list of countries eligible for Erasmus + includes perspective EU countries and some outside the EU. To ensure your country is one of them, you must read the “participating countries” catalog. 

These are some of the key requirements to get an Erasmus grant: 

  • Pass the first year of your studies so you can get 60 ECTS. Also, you should get an average grade that is above the passing grade.
  • Pass a language level test, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • Accept the place you will spend your semester and assign the approval document. 
  • Decide together with the International Relations Office on the Learning Agreement. The Learning Agreement is a document that will place the courses that you will finish in the host university with equal ECTS as the courses in your home university. 
  • The International Office of your host university must sign the Attendance Certificate. You should submit this document before your first grant payment can be processed. 
  • Lastly, you have to sign the Enrolment Agreement. This document will serve as a contract between you and your destination university. 

For you to successfully complete the application process, you will have to collaborate hand in hand with the International Relations Office of your home university. 

How Much is the Erasmus Grant for Spain

You may receive an Erasmus+ grant that covers the costs of your travel and other essentials. The amount may vary depending on differences in living costs between your country and the destination country, the number of students applying, the distance between countries, and other grants available.

Spain takes place in region 5, with medium living costs. Therefore students will receive the medium-range EU grant. A medium range, between €260 and €540 per month, will also apply to mobility activities towards other countries with similar living costs to Spain. 

The clear division is between Programme Countries and Partner Countries. Spain, which is a Programme Country, will determine the monthly amount in agreement with the National Agencies and higher education institutions. National agencies and higher education institutions will publish the exact amounts on their websites.

When defining the amounts to be applied in Spain, National Agencies will consider two specific criteria:

  • the availability and the level of other sources of co-financing from private or public bodies at local, regional, or national level to complement the EU grant;
  • the general level of demand of students who intend to study or receive training abroad.

Can I Work in Spain as an Erasmus Student

If you don’t need a student visa to study in Spain through the Erasmus exchange, then you are free to work as many hours as you wish. Working full-time may be an option, but most students choose part-time work to avoid it interfering with their studies. On the other hand, if you’re working as a non-EU student in Spain, the student visa will put you under some restrictions.

As a non-EU/EEA international student in Spain, you can only work part-time until your visa expires. If you are staying in Spain for a more extended period than three months, then you have to register in City Hall. Registering at the city hall is a way for your new municipality to know how many residents live there and get the necessary budget to provide essential services to all the residents. Once you register, you’ll get your certificate of registration or padrón. The certificate of registration will prove your Spanish address for any administrative formalities.

Here you can find three possible work paths in Spain as a non-EU student:

  • Extracurricular Internship Voluntarily
  • Internship as a Part of Your Study Program
  • Part-Time Jobs

Do I Need a Visa for Erasmus in Spain?

If you’re a European Union student, then you don’t need a visa for Spain. If this is not the case for you, you can apply for a student visa to study in Spain and enjoy Spain’s way of life as you pursue your studies.

Before the mobility, your higher education institution must guarantee that all authorizations, whether short or long-term stay visas or residency permits, are in order.

There are three different types of student visas for Spain depending on the length of stay:

  • Student visa Spain 3 months. If you want to stay in Spain for no more than three months (90 days), you do not need to apply for this visa. Remember that this visa cannot be renewed except under extreme circumstances. Therefore, you must leave the country after 90 days.
  • Student visa Spain 6 months. If you want to stay in Spain for 3 to 6 months, you must apply for a student visa, which allows you to stay for more than 90 days for academic training purposes at an authorized center. The objective is to get a degree or study certificate.
  • Student visa Spain for more than 6 months. If you want to stay in Spain for more than 6 months, you must apply for the same visa as for stays of 3 to 6 months, but you must additionally get your NIE (Foreigner’s Identity Number) from a foreigner’s office and supply a number of supplementary papers. In this situation, the maximum stay is one year or two years for higher education courses.