Thousands of international students decide to study abroad in Alicante, Spain, every year. Likewise, millions of international tourists visit the coast of Alicante every year. According to Statista, in 2019 alone, 1.9 million tourists stayed in hotels in this attractive town. But the fact that Alicante attracts so many tourists every year is not the only reason why studying abroad in Alicante is a top-notch idea.
As an international student, you have plenty of opportunities to learn and grow here. By enrolling in one of Alicante’s countless programs, you will not only enrich your resume but also receive personal growth and fulfillment. So, keep reading to discover some of the top reasons why you should pursue an education in Alicante, Spain, and what life will be like once you get here!
Here’s everything you need to know about studying abroad in Alicante, Spain:
Why Study Abroad in Alicante, Spain?
- Culture and art. Alicante has its fair share of culture and art. From festivals to impressive museums, art galleries, fascinating architecture, and music. Alicante never fails to be fun. Its rich cultural and artistic scene attracts visitors from all corners of the world.
- Enchanting beaches. The tranquil beaches by the Mediterranean Sea are nothing short of extraordinary. Alicante’s relaxing lifestyle will be a great advantage to your study experience here. There is always somewhere to go to, have fun, and unwind from a long day.
- Wide array of study programs. You will be able to find numerous study programs in Alicante. For example, the University of Alicante offers multiple study choices and more than 120 degrees. With some of the most beautiful campuses in Spain, you are guaranteed to enjoy an excellent study destination as well as have a good time.
- Delicious traditional dishes. Did someone say “food”? Well, Alicante’s cuisine is what will complement your study experience. Some of the most typical dishes in Alicante have rice as their main ingredient (e.g., the delicious paella). Food won’t be a problem during your study experience in Alicante. You will see for yourself!
- Practice your Spanish. You will have plenty of chances to practice your Spanish while in Alicante. Speaking Spanish will help you communicate better and largely enrich your resume, which is rather beneficial considering Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world.
- Fun outdoors and friendly locals. Alicante’s beaches are not the only outdoor attractions. Apart from sailing, rowing, and windsurfing, outdoor activities also include walks and mountain hikes. Besides, the friendly locals are rather supportive and always ready to help.
What Can I Study?
Alicante welcomes thousands of international students across its educational institutions every year. If you find that you wish to study in Alicante, you will have the opportunity to choose from a wide range of study abroad programs in disciplines such as linguistics, psychology, anthropology, fine art, marketing, economics, etc. International students can choose to pursue an undergraduate or postgraduate degree, but they also may opt for shorter programs such as summer/spring courses, semester exchange programs, gap year programs, etc.
Apart from full-time degree studies, students can also undertake the following types of programs in Alicante:
- Spanish Studies (courses designed specifically for international students).
- Integrated Studies Programs.
- Internship & Service Learning Programs.
- International Studies in English Programs.
- Short-Term Programs.
How Much Does Studying in Alicante Cost?
An international student in Alicante will need approximately €800 to €900 per month to cover their living expenses (including rent). The exact costs, however, vary depending on accommodation and lifestyle. Of course, one of the major expenses is also accommodation. Students may have to pay anywhere between €200 to €550 for accommodation depending on the accommodation type. The cost of university is quite affordable around Spain. Generally, students pay on a pay-per-credit basis, which averages around €720 to €1,800 per year. Read more about university costs in Spanish universities here.
Here are some of the main expenses you can expect to have in Alicante:
|Meal (Inexpensive Restaurant)||€12.00|
|Three-Course Meal (Mid-Range Restaurant)||€16.00|
|Cup of Coffee||€1.75|
|Pepsi/Cola (0.33-liter bottle)||€1.14|
|Water (0.33-liter bottle)||€0.92|
|Loaf of Fresh Bread (500g)||€1.06|
|White Rice (1kg)||€0.96|
|Local Transport Ticket||€1.45|
|Fitness Club Monthly Fee||€45.00|
Accommodation costs are rather affordable in Alicante. One common type of accommodation for students in Alicante includes renting a room in a shared apartment (with other students). The rent for this accommodation type can be as low as €200 per month (but usually, students pay an average of €350 for a room per month). Factors such as the apartment’s size, proximity to the city center, or other amenities play an important role in the cost.
If you wish to rent your own apartment, average costs range from €550 for a one-bedroom apartment in the city center to €475 for the same type of apartment outside of the city center. A group of students may even decide to rent a larger apartment and share the cost of rent and utilities. For example, a three-bedroom apartment in the city center in Alicante costs an average of €900 per month (which means €300 per person, excluding utilities).
Another type of accommodation students can opt for in Alicante is living with local families (homestays). This type of housing is incredibly convenient for students attending short courses or semester programs in Alicante. The cost per night averages around €20 to €25. Students get to live with a Spanish family, practice their Spanish, and experience the Alicante lifestyle and culture first-hand.
What Is Student Life Like in Alicante?
As previously mentioned, there is plenty to see and do as an international student in Alicante. Whether you want to immerse yourself in Alicante’s history (through its architecture, museums, cathedrals, historic churches) or enjoy its modern lifestyle (by visiting its beaches, art galleries, water sports, shopping squares, nightclubs, etc.), you will quite likely have a great time studying and living in Alicante. This fascinating town along Costa Blanca attracts both international students and tourists alike. The Unversity of Alicante has one of the loveliest campuses in Spain, where students can socialize, learn, and create new friendships.
If you’re someone who would like to live close to the beach and enjoy the experience of a town that balances both the past and the modern – then Alicante might be your go-to choice. Depending on your preferences, as an international student in Alicante, you will be able to immerse yourself in the Spanish culture by taking up internships, workshops, excursions, volunteering opportunities, and attending local festivals and celebrations. The lovely climate will make it easier to undertake any type of outdoor activity you might like in a charming ambiance by the Mediterranean Sea. You will return home a different, more fulfilled individual.